Do you ever feel like you are missing out on the wonder in life? Do you go about your day just thinking “WOW, this is Life, I am here, I am the moment, and I am astonished at the miraculous world I live in”. I was once a girl who traveled the world week in and week out but wasn’t able to be free of my mind and enjoy the moments for what they were, wondrous. The concept of picking up a leaf or looking someone in the eyes never crossed my thought filled mind. My head was swirling with ideas of what and who I should be, was I good enough? Was I going to be judged? Who would like me? Oh, the swirling chatter of insecurity flew around upstairs like leaves in a wind storm. That was then and this is now.
Today, I am grateful to say I am not in the same place. After a few years of very intense, hard work I now lead my life with my heart and allow my mind to come and join us when invited. While I am not perfect, I have more and more moments out of my mind which is a feeling of bliss. In this state, I can truly create and be who I really am. When I realized other people miss the wonder in life too, I was inspired to share what I do to be free of my mind and find my inner sanctuary I call mySelf. I hope these help guide you or anyone you know looking to experience the miracles in life that do not cost a penny.
We can find wonder everywhere, it is in this moment and it is within us. Do you ever look or touch something and feel a shift, a click of sorts in your heart? For me, that is the best feeling ever, nothing can top that. I know in that moment my soul is speaking to me, it is illuminating and shining as bright as a star. I used to think it was crazy when I felt the distinct feeling of connection I told myself maybe I shouldn’t have had the third cup of espresso. After time, I began to listen to this feeling, it was real and I was not about to ignore it. Today, I feel the click over a hundred times a day, not that I am counting or anything. When I am out of my mind, I am in my heart and that is the best place I can possibly be. It is wear all the truth is revealed, it is home, it is love.
To discover the wonder within your daily life, inner and outer, is actually simple….here are several ways I find a connection to myself in everyday life.
1. Look into someone’s eyes. It is something we rarely do as the mind is wanting to run around the maze upstairs. Sit down with someone, look into their eyes for 10 seconds and listen, you will be amazed at the shift you feel. Be fully present for someone who is sitting in front of you. In each moment, we are being given the gift of presence. It’s all we have, let’s cherish it.
2. Take a moment and look at a flower. I know I know, just do it. Feel yourself melt away from your mind….you are just “there” with the flower. Look at the petals and the depth of color within the leaves. Just be in the wonder of the fact it was created by nature and it’s there to enjoy and become inspired by.
3. Look up. With deadlines, endless to-do lists, and commitments these days we are in a hurry. Thinking becomes the task of the moment and the heart gets left to its own without any light. I often make it a practice to look up into the sky and say thank you. When I put my feet on the sidewalk I am glancing up into the sky to see all the wonder up there. The clouds have a lot to say, the raindrops hold a refreshing tonic, the sun gives us Vitamin D and light to make our day a lot brighter. Be sure to be aware of the shift that happens within you, don’t try to force it….just wait for it. Look up, in that moment listen to what you hear inside.
4. Do something kind for someone. I always find it wondrous what happens within me when I do something for someone else. Whether is holding a door for someone, buying the person a coffee in the drive-through, giving someone my scarf they love so much, or doing a photo shoot for free to a mother who doesn’t have the funds to pay for it. Life is not about getting, it is about giving. Every time I think of someone else other than myself, I am happy.
5. Get close to a dog. Ok, I know this may seem like an odd one if you are afraid of dogs. If you are, then this one is for YOU! Dogs have a way of showing us how to be fully present. For me, my dogs are brilliant teachers in this section of the classroom I call life. Watch how a dog is just doing the next single thing, they are HERE. Their time is always NOW. Feel the shift, it is wondrous.
Finding the wonder in life is a way of living. It takes practice as the mind will always want to compete and win your attention. You may even be hearing your mind tell you this blog post is a load of rubbish and if so, that will be your experience. If you are looking for ways to become more heart centered all you have to be is aware and willing to see the beauty in everyday life through your eyes which lead to your heart. Wonder is the essence of life. We are here to live extraordinary lives and the fact is…..we are wondrous, we are miracles. Believe it.
I wish you a day filled with wonder, discovery, treasures, and moments you will cherish forever in your heart.
All images by Jocelyn Casey.